Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Commands, Treats, Praise and Toys

Last week, we attended the Fur Rondy Mutt Show. The dogs loved the attention from other dogs and people. Kobe picked up a new tug toy.

Jere and I are working with the dogs on commands. Kobe and Sage are good at sit and lay down. They're slow with watch me and stay. We're supposed to work on the Name Game and 1-2-3 Sit, but we haven't yet. I've been trying to teach Kobe Shake; he likes to tap when he's bored so when he does I take his paw and say Shake. I think I would get a better response if I gave him treats. We both know that if a dog isn't responding to commands it's human error. When we have the dogs sit or lay down, we need a command for them to stand back up. I prefer not to use up, because I use up, up, up to have them jump into the SUV or the bed. I think we should use stand. The only difficulty is the dogs immediate go to sit or lay down when they see treats.

I bought a bunch toys for the dogs. Kobe needs a lot of stimulation and I wanted to get some toys for Sage too. She's never really responded to toys, but she does have some favorites. We also got Kobe a new cage twice the size of his kennel. He's doesn't like being caged, but I was able to get him in the room with some treats and that's progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment